As rain looms, get sandbags while they last
- May 8, 2014
- / Shannon Nickinson
- / community-dashboard
With the possibility of more rain coming to the area Friday, Saturday and Sunday, local officials are making sandbags available to the public at no cost at several locations.
Escambia County spokeswoman Kathleen Castro says the county will make 10 sandbags per vehicle available to the public for free on Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the county Road Prison, 601 Highway 297A, Cantonment, will supplies last.
Residents needing tarps to cover belongings that have been brought outside of flooded homes can pick up free tarps on a first-come, first-served basis from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Escambia County Public Safety Building, South Parking Lot, 6575 North W St.
In Santa Rosa, residents should bring shovels and be prepared to fill and load bags. County and fire department staff are not available to make home deliveries. If fire department staff are on calls, they will not be available to hand out sand bags.
Sand & Sandbags Directions
- 25 sandbags per vehicle
- Residents should bring shovels and be prepared to fill and load bags. County and fire department staff ARE NOT available to make home deliveries. If fire department staff are on calls, they will not be available to hand out sand bags.
- After use over the weekend, residents are encouraged to store their sandbags in an area off the ground and out of the sun so they may be reused.
Sand & Sandbags (25-bag limit per vehicle) while supplies last:
- Holley-Navarre Fire District, 8618 East Esplanade St. from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Pace Fire Rescue District, 4773 Pace Patriot Blvd. from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sand only is available at the following locations while supplies last:
- Tiger Point Park, 1370 Tiger Park Lane, Gulf Breeze
- The intersection of Citrus Drive and Leisure Street in Holley By The Sea
- The intersection of Pine Forest Road and Carroll Road
Sand and sandbags are also available at local home improvement stores for purchase.